Financial & Legal

Winter fuel payments (WFP)- backdated claims refused

anne.dekapp writes in Financial & Legal

Hi,

I have posted this topic on my local Anglo-info forum, as part of an on-going thread and it has generated some interest. I noted members here were interested in WFP at the latter half of last year and may be able to shed some light on my dilemma.

Following the judgment by the Court of Justice of the European Union (CJEU), which held that EU law prevented Member States from ‘ ..making an award of ... benefit (to be) subject to a condition of ordinary residence in that state...’, I have successfully claimed my WFP for this year.
I also submitted the ‘Claim form for Winter Fuel Payment for past winters’ from the DWP web-site. (The form that was published in October last year, not the current one, which excludes periods 2000/2001 to 2011)
This claim has been rejected on the grounds of lateness. I have tried to understand the rationale.
The correspondence has gone as follows:

Me: Can I apply for a backdated award?

DWP: Certainly, fill in the form.

Me: There you are, all correct now that the rules have changed. Can I have my money please.

DWP: No, very sorry, but you are late in applying, you needed to apply as long ago as 2008.

Me: But you told me I couldn’t apply then, ‘cos I wasn’t living in theUKat the time.

DWP: That’s right.

Me: But now you’ve been told by a higher authority that you were wrong to not let me apply.

DWP: Yes, you’re right.

Me: So, because you were wrong, you have now given me the right to apply and given me a form to fill-in.

DWP Yes, right again.

Me: Good, you’ve got the form - and agree I meet all the conditions?

DWP: What can I say?, you’re right again.

Me: Great, can you send me the money then.

DWP: No, sorry, the rules still say that you had to apply as long ago as 2008: You’re late. Being late = No money. Goodbye.

I have the feeling that Sir Humphrey is alive and well and moderating the DWP.

Can anyone explain the bureaucratic logic for me?

Anne

(I hope it isn't bad etiquette to Forum-hop?)

Posted on: 07/02/2013 at 10:11

Well, I applied for the first time in 2012, and got my first payment before the end of that year.

However, there was no question of any payments being back-dated, even though I have been past the sell by date for some years.

I wrote to the UK and asked them to send the appropriate forms, no problem, even though I was told I could download them, which I opted not to do. Why waste my printer ink for loads of pages?!

Posted on: 07/02/2013 at 10:29

The DWP is an equal opportunities employer and as such it employs every numpty who cannot get a job anywhere else. There is no rational for their cavalier decisions, they just pick an answer out of a hat. When they say that a claim is dealt with on an individual basis, it is to cover the fact that all decisions are random and refers, not to the claimant but the person making the decision. As for their website, NEVER have I wasted sooo much time in trying to navigate a site only to be told that I must contact them to get a pin number sent to me via the postal service to continue my search. UNBELIEVABLE !!!!!!!

Posted on: 07/02/2013 at 11:34

Littlemo, hi, thanx for your comments.

When you said "....there was no question of any payments being back-dated..." Did you ask them?

The reason I ask is that they have re-issued the claim form for backdated awards, changing it so that it is very restricted as to the periods allowed for retrospective claims. If I  had been allowed to claim under the changed regulations, I would have 4 years of payments awarded.

Clearly, someone at DWP has thought again (somewhere between 100,000 and 300,00 potential applicants seeking £200 a year for up to 10 years- focuses the purse-holder's mind).

I could well do with the extra £800, logs are not cheap and you burn a lot when the thermometer hits  -22 deg C, as it did here last year.

Rgds Anne

Posted on: 07/02/2013 at 20:18

Nannydue-your comments are ill founded & typical of the people who do not understand that the DWP has things foisted on them by the Govt & EU.Most of DWP staff are working their socks off to try & do the impossible sometimes & won praise from independent firms/newspapers  for example of the way it responded to the processing of Unemployment claims when claim numbers rose astroniomically.You do a great injustice to DWP staff.What you have put in your post about the pin indicates you did not read the instructions for registering properly as I knew I had to receive mine by post,& it arrive in either 2 or 3 working days.DWP staff have to interpret the laws & have procedures manuals & if mistakes are made decisions are corrected asap.People have the right to go to the Appeals Tribunals free of charge & EU court if necessary.People do have to try & understand the rules which are made by the Gov,another example of which was whem men wanted to claim Widows Benefit when the Govt  only allowed it to be awarded to women.

ANN-DEKAPP-Take your decision to appeals-it is free.If you feel you have been misdirected by an officer of the DWP you can write in with full details-names/dates etc 

R64

Posted on: 07/02/2013 at 21:38

As I understood it, the rules were simple. Starting in 2012, Britons living in France were entitled to claim winter fuel payment. Before that they were not. The European Court may have instructed Britain to allow applications from ex-pats (and this is what they did) but there was no instruction that the application of this law had to be back-dated.

Be thankful that you are now entitled to somehting you did not have in 2011 - and move on - please

Geoff

Posted on: 07/02/2013 at 23:31

Geoff,

Thanks for your interest, but I cannot agree with your understanding.

The ruling by the CJEU took time and determined that the regulations, extant from the introduction of  WFP, were in error.

DWP has accepted this and consequently published "Claim form for Winter Fuel Payment for past winters 1997/98, 1998/99 and 1999/00"

The intervening periods are , in DWP eyes, subject to a lateness clause. Their own interpretation, of their liability.

They were wrong once! They couldn't be wrong again-could they?

Rgds

Anne

Posted on: 08/02/2013 at 05:54

Featured Information

Useful Contacts

Useful Contacts

Find out about services and government organisations that play a part in moving to France.

Read more...
Income Tax

Income Tax

The responsibilities of the taxpayer in France: understand the French tax system and how it affects your income.

Read more...
Become Member List your Business Blog For Us

Featured Information

Employment

Employment

Just hired, or looking for work? Find out about employment contracts, including benefits and legal requirements.

Read more...
Useful Contacts

Useful Contacts

Find out about services and government organisations that play a part in moving to France.

Read more...